Sunday, September 16, 2007

Depression

Some of you know that I have been battling depression for a long time now. And of all the monkeys to kick this one truely sucks. People who care about you are waiting for you to just "snap out of it" and the pressure to put on a happy face and deny what is really going on is unbearable. I have seen therapists, taken anti-depressants, read a million books ...

I had a coffee with a friend, he gave me a book ... Set Yourself Free by Shirley Smith. I know I could have thought, here we go with another book, but my meeting with my friend was so real, so honest ... I knew that he is being changed by whatever it is he is doing, and for the better.

In the meantime, so over the constant sadness and misery I started really looking at my diet. I am now making sure I get all my fruit and veges each day and taking my vitamins etc. which are easily overlooked when you live alone.

I have started to feel better.

So I started reading that book. I have just begun but I know that there is life there. I often talk a good game when inside I am desperately unhappy. I'll let you know how I progess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am dealing with the demon "D".

Take your vitamins, keep yourself hydrated. Try to avoid things that trigger what I call the "downward spiral" wave of negative thoughts. Go for a quick walk outside to get some sun on your face even if it's five or ten minutes a day. Vitamin B12 is wonderful. I know they help me when I remember to take them. Rest. Breathe.

And as for the rest of those who are waiting for you to simply "snap out of it," the problem is, your pain is probably making some of their own pain come to the surface, and they don't want to deal with any of it. Theirs or yours, and would rather be an ostrich.

Sometimes I take the notion of "fake it to make it" to heart. Sometimes slapping on a smile when inside you're feeling sour DOES get you through. What else is the alternative? To dwell? There's a time for analysis. And there's a time for simply blocking out everything to allow a little bit of healing take place in the neutral space.

However, change, no matter how small is good.

"It's the action, not the fruit of action that's important [...] You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no results." --Ghandi

Anonymous said...

Hi
I too have suffered with the dreaded D for many years. The feeling of disconnection is horrendous.
Since becoming a Christian, I have found much comfort and ease in Jesus. I used to be an atheist so you can imagine what a dramatic change I've undergone!
I try not to use those D words anymore - depression, despair and other negative ones like anxiety, phobia and fear.
That helps.
Speak blessings over your own life. When you awake, speak as if you already are passionate and in love with life.
I say 'Thank you God that I am just brimming and bursting and passionate about life, that I love everything about life, the air, nature, the sun on my face, the song of birds outside my window...everything!'
I've been speaking such words over every area of my life and believe me after a while, you start to feel something really strange and you realise it's joy.
Please try this.
I have been in the depths of hell too many times to want anyone, even the most evil people, to ever feel it.
You are both in my prayers.
God Bless.
T