Wednesday, March 28, 2007

why no one likes Aussies anymore

As my friend Dave pointed out ... it is very sad but true. The blog post by Ben Groundwater, [here]rang just a little too true. I have complained. I have missed my vegemite and tim tams. I have fretted when getting what comes simple back home is a big ordeal. But I have also rolled my eyes upon any discussion with a taxi driver that involved crocodile hunter Steve Irwin. Not everyone in Australia loves to hang out with reptiles and kangaroos. I have cringed when 'outback steakhouse' was the choice for dinner ... not sure I know anyone who eats bloomin onions at home, but seeing they were rather delicious perhaps we should.

On the other foot, I have travelled to the Maldives expecting an out of the ordinary experience only to discover an australian chef and a wine list full of tragic export labels ... kanga's leap and bushman's gully, etc. Just a tip, if it has a kangaroo anything on it ... tip it down the sink.

All it gets down to is expectations. There is an illusion that America and the UK are just like Australia ... as my boy says often, "it may as well be China". Lose the expectation and opt in to the adventure ... you may just have fun and you are less likely to complain and annoy the crap out of everyone else.

No comments: