Saturday, March 17, 2007

Children Cut Through The Crap

Whenever I feel like I may just "have it going on" even if only for a moment, my daughter (age 6) brings me right back down to earth with a thud. When I am around her I never have the right answer to the very real questions and the heartfelt desires.

"I want to live with you Mummy."

Me: Yes, darling, but you love living with your other family too. You are so lucky you have two families.

"I only want one family mummy. I want a happy ending. I want to see you everyday."

Me: dumbstruck again.

There is nothing I can say that means anything. I can stick my finger in the dam but sooner or later another leak will spring. I don't have the answers for my daughter, I still wish someone could give some answers to me. I do know that happy endings are by design and not destiny, that my happiness is by choice as is my misery and some things that happen in life don't have an explanation and just really suck!

Mummy and daddy can live in the same house forever and after happily unhappy ... no thank you. The weight of the fairytales is heavy. I think of all the stories I have read to my daughter and the myths that have been spun through them and I feel more than a little guilty. Children cut through the crap. They know how things really are. For some reason we keep trying to change their minds by feeding them the fairytale fantasy world, perhaps because it makes us feel better that they aren't worried about the weight of the adult concerns.

After all the fretting and worry about my daughter's wellbeing and state of mind throughout my marriage breakdown, comes the truth ...

"so if you and daddy break up, will I still be able to go to the snow in the holidays?"

No comments: